March 17, 2020
Dear Summit Family,
Our Summit family is just that—a family, made up of students, parents, and educators. The health, safety, and overall well-being of our family, and yours, is always our top priority. We are praying for our SCA families during this time and trusting the Lord to cover each one of you with His peace and protection.
The Oklahoma State Board of Education recently mandated that all school facilities close to slow the spread of the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Local school districts have announced closure until Monday, April 6, 2020. This unprecedented order is out of an abundance of caution, a step deemed necessary to protect students, teachers, and families and our overall public health. As Christians, we submit to those in authority (Rom 13:5) yet take to heart the words of our Lord Jesus, “Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:27) We will continue to pray and urge you to be united with us in prayer.
While our buildings will be closed until April 6, and extracurricular activities are canceled, SUMMIT CHRISITAN ACADEMY IS PREPARING TO LAUNCH ONLINE LEARNING. While other schools may completely shut down, our staff is working on a distance education platform to allow our students to keep up with their scheduled classwork and advancements in a timely manner.
Here is our current response plan:
- In conjunction with the Oklahoma State Department of Education, the CDC, and other notable health organizations, in-person attendance at SCA will be postponed for two weeks, through Friday, April 3.
- Our school administration team will use this time to finalize specifics related to distance education options for grades K-12.
- Beginning Monday, March 23, the SCA staff will begin training and preparing for online content delivery. Our goal is to offer an interactive online learning environment that will allow students to communicate with their teachers and each other via messaging and potentially recorded/live video, at age-appropriate levels.
- The week of March 30, we will begin training students to use the online system.
- Should the need arise, off-campus learning will launch April 6.
- Please note, all SCA business activities (enrollment, office questions, etc.) remain available via email – email@example.com.
You will receive an email from your child’s principal when we are ready to roll out instructions for online classes. Remote tech support will be available as needed to ensure that your child is ready to go on day one. If you have technical questions in advance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This will be a new process for us. We ask for your prayers and grace as we navigate this unprecedented and fluid situation. Working together, we can ensure our students succeed regardless of the challenges we face.
Summit Christian Academy
PDF Version – March 17, 2020
March 12, 2020
I am sure you are aware of what is happening in the world around us. COVID-19 (coronavirus), has gained our attention prompting us to be in prayer for those throughout the world impacted by it. We are asking God to heal those who are sick, to protect those who are at risk of contracting the virus, and to pour out His wisdom on the doctors, nurses, and medical professionals who are tirelessly caring for those in need.
Knowing you have concerns about the Coronavirus, we want to share with you the steps we are taking to safeguard and protect our congregation, school family, and staff. While most of these measures are already diligently taken by the school on a routine basis, the following actions will be in place until further notice:
- Our staff may choose to greet you with a friendly wave or “elbow bump” instead of a handshake or hug.
- We will conduct additional cleanings across our campuses, and our staff will use sanitizer to wipe down shared and frequently touched surfaces before and after each school day.
- We will increase the frequency of disinfectant fogging. We use a hospital-grade electrostatic sprayer to disinfect classrooms and common areas. The equipment uses a patented electrostatic delivery system that helps cleaning solutions “cling” to surfaces like desks, locker rooms, or door handles. It is proven to be effective removing 99%+ of germs in a treated room/area.
- We are adding additional hand sanitizer stations across all of our church and school locations.
- We will continue to offer hand sanitizer in all of our classrooms.
We also recommend the following to keep your family healthy during this time:
- Please keep your child at home if they are not feeling well or running a fever greater than 100 degrees. This is critical for prevention.
- The CDC recommends individuals remain home for at least 24 hours after last recorded fever or signs of a fever (i.e., chills, aches, feeling warm, flushed appearance).
- Teach your child to avoid touching their eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your elbow. Do not cough or sneeze into your hand or into the air.
- Follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)’s guidelines for using a facemask. The CDC does not recommend that healthy people need to wear masks to prevent contracting Coronavirus.
- If you have traveled to any of the countries where there are outbreaks of the virus, please follow immediate guidance from the CDC.
Our teachers, staff, and church/school leaders have already begun implementing the above measures and will continue to monitor any additional steps needed to be implemented in the future. We will also continue to follow guidance from local and national authorities on appropriate next steps and necessary precautions our school should take. We appreciate your partnership in order to maintain the health and safety of our church and school family. We love you and are praying for you!
Serving Neighbors and Nations,
Ron Woods, Lead Pastor
Summit Christian Academy
Summit Early Learning Center
For more information on the Coronavirus, please click the links below.
- Tulsa Health Department – About Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
- Oklahoma State Department of Health – Information Regarding Travel, Spread of Coronavirus, Frequently Asked Questions, and More
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Preventative Measures for Coronavirus
Should you have any questions or individual precautionary concerns, please contact the SCA or SELC office.